Careers and Internships
Office Manager/Legal Assistant
Location: Oakland, California
Responsible to: ELF Executive Director Hours: Part time (20 hours/week), flexible work-from-home/in-person hybrid
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Environmental Law Foundation (“ELF”) is a nonprofit legal environmental organization in Oakland, California, founded on Earth Day, 1991. ELF’s legal staff represents environmental organizations, community groups and the general public to enforce federal and California environmental laws. We litigate water cases and toxic chemical cases throughout California and also participate in administrative advocacy proceedings.
The Office Manager/Legal Assistant oversees daily operations of the organization, including finances, accounts payable, all tax and organizational filings, human resources, legal assistant duties, and office culture. We are looking for someone who is self-motivated with a passion for nonprofit and environmental issues.
ELF prides itself on its office culture. We work hard for environmental justice and environmental quality and we have fun doing it. We care about each other and support each other’s careers and passions both inside and outside the office.
- Accounting, accounts payable, and accounts receivable
- Payroll via payroll service
- Cash flow management
- Prepare financial and billing reports
- Preparation and filing of tax and corporate documents (including Form 990)
- Administer benefits to all
- Assist with fundraising efforts, including events
- Provide general office support, including answering phones
- Organize office activities
- Order supplies
- Work with Building Management on office maintenance/lease matters
- Maintain client files
- Support two attorneys with light legal assistant tasks such as creating tables of contents and authorities as well as e-filings in state courts
- General troubleshooting of tasks as they arise
- Personal initiative
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail/checks work before finalizing
- Ability to prioritize conflicting deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Good telephone skills
- A college degree OR equivalent experience
- 3-5 years office experience, especially office management
- Knowledge of accounting procedures, corporate formalities, and employment law
- Interest in environmental legal issues, or a general interest in law
- Experience with word processing, spreadsheets, database management, legal pleading formatting, Quickbooks, and Timeslips (or comparable accounting and billing software)
- Experience with writing, editing, and fundraising desirable
- Experience working with legal documents
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector
How to apply
E-mail a cover letter, resume, and three references (no attachments please) by October 15, 2021 to Nic Feliciano, Operations Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELF accepts applications from current law students for our summer and term-time internships.
ELF’s legal interns assist in all aspects of litigation on our docket. Generally, the interns conduct legal research and draft memos, briefs, discovery and/or pleadings. To the extent feasible, the interns also attend hearings and settlement meetings. The interns work closely with a staff attorney who will supervise their work and provide feedback. Because of our small size and fast-paced environment, interns are heavily involved in all aspects of our work, from strategy meetings to brief writing. We are proud that we can offer interns the opportunity to do real, substantive, important work.
Prior coursework or experience in environmental law, especially water law, is a plus, as is any experience in litigation. A demonstrated commitment to public interest law is also a plus. ELF especially encourages applications from members of groups that are underrepresented in the legal profession.
How to Apply
Applications should include a cover letter, résumé, list of references, and a writing sample that is entirely your own work. Legal writing, such as a memo or a portion of a brief composed for an internship, is preferable to academic writing.
Please send your application to Nathaniel Kane at email@example.com. No calls please.